#1 Reason why Battery-Powered Curing Lights Fail
It’s easy to get used to inefficiencies and ineffectiveness in the materials we use day in and day out at the dental practice. If you want to avoid stagnancy in your patient care and techniques, it’s beneficial to become more familiar with your technology and materials. Curing lights in particular are a commonly overlooked tool.
Improve the Longevity of Your Curing Lights
Dentists often think that the actual LEDS in the curing light fail as it ages. LEDs do indeed degrade over time, but the degradation is insignificant, particularly with high quality curing lights. The battery however is the usual culprit that causes curing lights to stop working.
The curing light is usually wiped down with a disinfectant solution and placed back in the charger. The disinfectant solution has a tendency of pooling at the base of the charger. Then the battery charging contacts end up sitting in the pool of disinfectant. Over time, the charging contacts corrode and the curing light stops working because the battery is no longer able to receive a charge.
There are two ways to prevent this problem. Either make sure the curing light is dry before putting it in the charger or use a curing light that doesn't have charging contacts.
Some curing lights such as Bluephase® Style from Ivoclar Vivadent don't have charging contacts because they have inductive charging.
How Inductive Charging Works
But how does inductive charging work? Is it as effective? To answer these questions, we have to dive into some of the mechanics behind the technology.
The charging base generates a pulsing magnetic field. This field then transfers the energy into the battery without physical contact, where the magnetic field is received and converted to electric energy. The magnetic field is also used for the communication between the battery and the charging base.
In this way, the charging base checks if a battery is inserted into the charging base or not. It only starts to transmit energy once a battery is placed in the charging base. If there is no battery or another object in the charging base, no energy transfer takes place.
Once the battery is fully charged, the battery communicates this to the charging base, which then ends the energy transmission. The magnetic field generated by the charging base is entirely safe for people or other electronic devices and does not lead to any increase in temperature or other damage.
Curious about transitioning to a curing light with inductive charging? You can learn more about Bluephase Style here: https://www.ivoclarvivadent.us/bluephase-style