Dentin, Enamel & Co.: This is how to achieve an accurate shade match
Achieving an accurate shade match of the restorative material to the dentin and enamel plays a significant role in creating an esthetically successful Class IV restorations. There are some rules that should be observed to achieve consistent shade accuracy. At Ivoclar Vivadent, we have prepared a few practical tips that show you how to achieve esthetically vibrant Class IV restorations with IPS Empress Direct. Find out more.
5 tips for achieving esthetically vibrant Class IV restorations
- Switch off all sources of bright light - for instance your operatory light. Bright light may result in you selecting a shade that is too light.
- Do not blow the tooth dry with air - and do not place cotton rolls for shade selecting. Enamel dries very easily and once dry, it looks more opaque and brighter than when it is moist.
- Determine the enamel shade at the incisal edge of the tooth that is being repaired.
- Determine the dentin shade on the basis of the cervical shade of the canines.
- If you are undecided between two shades, choose the darker one.
New guide by Dr Markus Lenhard
The above tips have been taken from a new guide penned by Dr Markus Lenhard (Switzerland). In his booklet titled “The Guide to Class IV Restorations with IPS Empress Direct”, the internationally renowned dentist provides valuable advice for accomplishing esthetic Class IV restorations.
Did we spark your interest? Then download Dr Lenhard’s guide for free!
IPS Empress is a registered trademark of Ivoclar Vivadent AG. The availability of certain products may vary from country to country.